Friday, 9 March 2018

My daughter survived Parkland. Yes, I own a gun, but let’s get real. Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op-ed/article204412254.html#storylink=cpy

My daughter Sarah miraculously survived one of the worst school shootings in U.S. history. She is a 15-year-old freshman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. Her text in the New York Times that appeared the day after the Feb. 14 shooting must have brought millions to tears: “If I don’t make it, I love you and appreciate all you did for me.”

This has been a life-altering event for my sweet daughter, who I fear has lost her innocence and cries at random moments. She hid in a storage room for two hours with 40 other students whimpering in the dark. She told me they could hear the shots clearly and prayed they would not fall victim to the mass murderer’s bullets. They were aware of the carnage that would await them when they emerged. Stepping over the dead bodies of classmates and teachers was not the way they envisioned the end of their Valentine’s Day.

Source:  miamiherald

No comments:

Post a Comment